My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Overflowing. Christ-follower. Adoring wife. Mother. Francophile. Lover of languages. Aspiring chef. Wanderluster. Dabbler. Communicator. Free spirited, but powerfully attached.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

La vie en Rose

[June 5, 2006; 2:00 p.m.]

My faithful readers have been guilt-tripping me about my lack of dedication to the blog (Mom), but let me assure you: It’s not for a lack of enthusiasm. Something has clicked within the past few weeks, and all I can think about is Paris. I’m sitting in the “beautiful” San Antonio International Airport right now, only about 15 hours away from setting my ballet slipper-clad feet in the City of Lights.

Let me update you on what’s been going on since the last time I added to the blog. About two weeks ago, my French “family,” with whom I will be staying for six weeks, sent me an email. They are AMAZING; they love me and I love them! They are called the de Larminats, and they live in the 16th arrondisement, which is known as the upscale, “BCBG” part of Paris. Très chic!| Their apartment is REALLY close to the Eiffel Tower and right next to the Seine. A French professor I babysit for in Austin tells me that I really lucked out with this family.

I’ve been gradually packing my suitcase over the past several weeks, and it looks like I may have overdone it: Continental Airlines just charged me $25.00 dollars extra for having a “HEAVY” bag (My suitcase now sports a bright orange tag so everyone can know how high-maintenance I am).

It’s hard to believe I’m merely hours away from arriving in the city of which I’m so enamored. Of course, I have to take classes (It’s pretty much the only way I could get my AMAZING parents to foot the bill—thanks again, Dad!), but I’m most excited about the adventure that will inevitably come my way. While I’m in Europe, my fellow classmates and I plan to visit Germany (World Cup!), Italy, London, and Spain, staying in hostels along the way. Personally, I just can’t wait to sift through baubles and fabrics at the Paris flea market, or eat a croissant on a bench next to the Seine River, writing about how the “swirling sky above resembles iridescent fish scales, like the ones at the poissonnerie in Montparnasse.” That may not sound thrilling to some of you, but it’s my own kind of adventure.

Bisous!

Kate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home