My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Overflowing. Christ-follower. Adoring wife. Mother. Francophile. Lover of languages. Aspiring chef. Wanderluster. Dabbler. Communicator. Free spirited, but powerfully attached.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Le Premier Jour

***NB: Below you will find three blog posts that have been waiting in the wings until I was able to get Internet access. If you manage to read all of these lengthy entries, you are a true friend! If you DON'T... well, I won't go there. OH, and leave me tons of comments! Miss y'all already!

[6 juin 2006; 19h00]

And I’ve arrived! The creepily-friendly Englishman that sat next to me on the plane offered to share a cab with me because his hotel is close by where my host family lives. Thanks to him, I made it to my destination on only 25 euros, though people had warned me it would cost me nearly 100. That’s a good start!

After riding up four flights in a perilously small elevator, I found the “flat” of my hosts. I always thought a flat was only one story (hence, the “flat” part), but this apartment is HUGE and has two stories. I have my own wing of the upstairs, complete with a desk, balcony, armchair, a large armoire for storing my clothes and a salle de bain with a shower and sink. For the large size of the apartment, it’s a bit surprising to me that there is only ONE toilet for all six of us to share. Three or four showers, but only one toilet. I’ve read that the French value privacy SO MUCH, but with only one toilet, honoring privacy may become a bit difficult.

Upon my arrival to the flat, my host “mother” welcomed me in and asked if I’d like to have lunch with her and one of her daughters, Eugenie. We all had some really tasty broiled steaks and an endive salad. They LOVED the gifts I brought them, and they were even nice about the Texas wine, which I was sure they would hate.

Eugenie is my age, and while she is in Paris for the summer vacation she is working at a supermarket about a mile away. It’s not just a grocery store… It’s sort of like a Target with more food. They have EVERYTHING. I’m probably going to go shopping there for my school supplies tomorrow.

Inès, the mother, gave me a tour of the subway. She’s being really generous with her time and trying to make sure I’m comfortable. She speaks very little English, so when I am struggling to remember how to say something, there have already been a couple of times when we’ve just thrown up our hands as if to say “forget it.” Overall, though, they’re being really patient with me as I adjust. I’m DEFINITELY going to speak WAY better French by the time I leave. I already feel like I’m absorbing it pretty quickly!

And my “O” key on my keyboard just broke off. Fabulous. Just what you would expect from a five-month-old computer! (Not)

I went shoe shopping with Inès this afternoon, then we picked up Sophie, the 14-year-old, from school. I came home and watched “LOST: Les Disparus” with Felix, the 17-year-old. It was HILARIOUS to see Locke and Sawyer speaking French!

Speaking of hilarious, when Inès drove us to le banlieu to pick up Sophie, you’ll never guess what was playing on the radio: “Great Balls of Fire” – in FRENCH! I laughed and said something to Inès about how funny it sounded, and I think she was offended. Oops.

I also watched part of the French Open on TV, which was a little bizarre since it’s literally taking place just around the corner from where I’m living.

Anyway, it’s been a good first day. I’ve got about another hour before dinner, and after that, I’m pretty sure I’m going to be ready for bed. I’m not all that tired, but since I haven’t slept for… close to 30 hours, I’m just starting to feel a smidge mooky.

Tomorrow is my first day of class! AMAZINGLY, the de Larminats have a computer AND Internet in their home—VERY RARE for French families. However, since I’ve typed all these entries on my laptop and there is no wireless, I’ll just wait till I get to school tomorrow to publish them on my blog.

A demain,

Kate


P.S. There are roosters walking around all over the sides of the road! Not so much in the busier areas, but they’re definitely around! How stereotypically French is that? There were also bunnies all over the airport.

P.P.S. Even though I love blue jeans, I only brought one pair because I’ve been told that the French don’t wear blue jeans. Uh, truth is: everyone wears them. Including my way cool French family. Jeans and tennis shoes! Ha.

P.P.P.S. I think I fixed my “O” key.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home