My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Overflowing. Christ-follower. Adoring wife. Mother. Francophile. Lover of languages. Aspiring chef. Wanderluster. Dabbler. Communicator. Free spirited, but powerfully attached.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Randomonium

Can you BELIEVE we got Al Zarqawi?! Quelles bonnes nouvelles!!! USA, USA... !

I have been having SOOOO much trouble with adaptors. I bought an adaptor from Best Buy before I left so that my US appliances, computer charger, etc. would work in French outlets. Well, it doesn't work at ALL. There was no way for me to test it "aux Etats-Unis," so I found out as soon as I got here. My computer was going on VERY little battery, and then I discovered that one of my friends from class bought one and then found another one in her house, but she brought both, so for 30 Euros she sold me the one she bought (She had bought it for 40 bucks in the U.S.). BUT-- get this-- IT didn't work EITHER! I tested the outlet to make sure it wasn't a problem with the electricity or something, and my host "father" tried to help. He said the other students that they have hosted in the past didn't have a problem. MREGH!

So I just went to the French Best Buy, which is called Darty, and I bought an adapter there for 30 Euros. And guess what? It WORKS! YAYYYYY! And it's pretty deluxe. You can use it in 150 countries... I just am glad it works HERE!

And the salesman at Darty told me I speak very good French! YAY YAY!

I feel like I am learning to speak better French-- we had to sign a contract with the study abroad affiliate saying that we would ONLY speak French on the IES premises, even with our classmates. I'm DEFINITELY understanding better. Each day feels like I'm making a big improvement. At first it felt like everyone talked SOOOOO fast, but now I'm catching on!

I can see how the French are so fit. The portions are TEENY TINY, and though they eat a lot of butter and stuff, they walk so much! And they don't snack, which has been a bit of an adjustment for me. They ONLY eat three meals a day.

Last night my host "mother" went to a hen party, and the girls (Eugenie, 20, and Sophie, 14) and I ate the French equivalent of "Totino's Party Pizza" or something, you know, just a quick frozen meal. But get this... it was CORDON BLEU! Haha! They just heated it up, and it was DELICIOUS. SO GOOD.

Okay, I have my first language class in a few minutes, so I better go. I already took my culture class, and after I finish for the day, I'll update on what I think of school here.

Love and miss you!

Kate

1 Comments:

Blogger Monica Benavidez said...

Katie! Your blog is very addictive! I hope you're having a blast over there, and know that I am a faithful reader.

Be careful!

Love,
Monica

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home