My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Overflowing. Christ-follower. Adoring wife. Mother. Francophile. Lover of languages. Aspiring chef. Wanderluster. Dabbler. Communicator. Free spirited, but powerfully attached.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

French-sational

There are so many funny little quirks in French culture: never put salty things and sweet things on the same plate. Never turn a baguette “scored-side-down.” Never, EVER talk about the cost of things.

I need to find out if the French have a funny custom about sleeping in, because this morning I slept till 10:00 a.m. I probably just offended someone terribly, who knows. But on the bright side, I THINK I’m all caught up on my sleep—NO MORE JETLAG!!! I’ve been taking naps at the strangest times, totally by accident, and I have a feeling that craziness all stops today. It’s a good thing too, because I always feel so ashamed walking downstairs on a weekday at 3:00 p.m. (15h00 here in France) rubbing my eyes. My sweet host mom always asks me “Tu dors encore?” (Were you sleeping again?)

I think it’s gotten really bad, because she asks me that about three times a day now. I’m such a paresseuse! (lazy girl)

I’ve decided that last night (Friday) and today (Saturday), it’s ok for me to be a tourist. Normally I pride myself on being a French chameleon, blending in with the locals. I LOVE it when American or English tourists come up to me trying to ask for directions or something in French (It really happens more than you’d think). I just say, “It’s ok, I speak English,” and when they are visibly relieved, I sort of light up inside. “They mistook me for a Parisienne!!!” Ahhhh, what a feeling.

I can understand their confusion. After all, I’m pretty awesome with my little cardigans, chic flats (ESSENTIAL for all of the walking I have to do), huge tote (all the French women carry them), my metro pass and my decisive gait.

But last night I caved and went on a dinner cruise on the Seine with a bunch of friends. It’s SOOO touristy—but we had such a great time. Good food and great views of the Eiffel Tower and all of the cool bridges. Then afterwards, a few of us went to the Louvre and played in the gardens. I’m pretty sure we desecrated several statues and monuments… but a good time was had by all (except the statues and monuments).

SEE PICTURES HERE: (Copy and Paste the URL)

http://utexas.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2091515&l=eef7c&id=7908530


Then today, after sleeping late, I met some friends at the Eiffel Tower and we took a tour of Paris on one of those big double-decker buses. SUCH a fun time! I thought of Stephanie Ballard and Julianna Parker about a bajillion times, because I revisited all of the places the three of us went together three years ago (Wow, has it really been that long?!). Then I thought of Mary Box because we stopped outside the opera house for a long time, and I’m pretty sure Mary needs to grace those opera folks with her musical stylings.

After two of my new friends and I wandered around town for HOURS on foot, I was so exhausted. A whole bunch of my peeps (or as we say in France, “Le Peeps” … ok, no we don’t) went out to the bars, but I was worn out from walking a marathon, so I skipped it. Instead I came home and took a shower, and I just finished watching “Charlie et la Chocolaterie” with my host brother.

Speaking of the bars, I think I’m a lame-o. Yeah. I’m really not all that excited about alcohol! I had a glass of wine at a café my first day here, and I had champagne with my host family at dinner once (they toasted my arrival), but that’s it. Maybe it's true that what happens in Paris, stays in Paris, but I’d rather just play it safe.

All right, this is turning out to be an incredibly long post, so I’m gonna call it a night.

Au revoir from gaie Paris, y’all!

Kate

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OBVIOUSLY huge totes are in in Paris! (we can stop ridiculing mine now. lol). and may I just say that I was DELIGHTED to hear that you thought of me around the wonderful tourist-y Parisian spots!

PS- I'm so proud of you for being mistaken for a Parisienne!!!


-Stephanie Ballard

3:41 PM  
Blogger the bandit said...

I'd have to say that being a lame-o is way better than being a wino!

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home