My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Overflowing. Christ-follower. Adoring wife. Mother. Francophile. Lover of languages. Aspiring chef. Wanderluster. Dabbler. Communicator. Free spirited, but powerfully attached.

Monday, June 26, 2006

French people love yogurt.

What time is it? That’s right— It’s time for another hasty generalization, kids!!! I just got back from Carrefour, a sort of French Walmart, and it occurred to me how MANY varieties of yogurt there are in France. Picture two full aisles of semi-solid potted liqueousness. I’m talking FOUR LONG ROWS of different yogurts, liquidy puddings, and potted desserts.

After every meal I have with my family, we eat yogurt. I decided to jump on the yogurt train and buy some for myself. My family is supposed to provide me with breakfast everyday, which is always bread and jelly. BUT, that is SOOO chock full of carbohydrates that I get hungry by 10:00 a.m. I’m not an anti-carb gal at all, but I definitely want a little bit of protein with my breakfast. I’ve tried several varieties: grapefruit (pamplemousse), pear (poire), pineapple (ananas)… but today I discovered the greatest of all yogurts: KIWI.

Is there kiwi yogurt in the US? I don’t think so…

Anyway, I think it’s a strange predilection on the part of the French, but even YOGURT they do well. Where we have jello pudding cups, they have crême brulée in little glass pots. Where we have strawberry yogurt, they have… really GOOD strawberry yogurt.

I usually live on low-fat cottage cheese, and it’s difficult to find here because it’s an English tradition and the French hate all things English. But TODAY I discovered a version called Fromage Frais. It’s has a ton of fat though (lipides or mat gras), so I only got two. I’m already in trouble because Michelle and I discovered the BEST boulangerie in France right behind my apartment. I’d be eating beignets every day if I could… but I sort of don’t want to be the only fat person in France.

So anyway, just thought I’d share another little quirk I’ve noticed about French people. I’ll keep them coming!

Feeling tubby,

Kate

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm kiwi yogurt!? Sounds YUMMY! and perhaps a little reminiscent of our gelato binging days in Italy? mayhap.

ballard

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home