My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Overflowing. Christ-follower. Adoring wife. Mother. Francophile. Lover of languages. Aspiring chef. Wanderluster. Dabbler. Communicator. Free spirited, but powerfully attached.

Monday, June 12, 2006

A week without hugs

I felt a bit homesick one evening last week after writing my Father’s Day card. It was the first time I had really missed home, and I got kind of mad at myself. I mean, aren’t I supposed to have this insatiable sense of adventure? Why then, for a moment, did I want to be back in San Antonio, Texas, the place I’ve lived all my life? I’ve been in Paris less than a week! But the truth is, I have a really great dad, and it’s ok to miss him—even when I’m having the time of my life.

In France, nobody hugs their friends. If two women (or two men) hug, it means they’re homosexual. It’s been a week since I’ve been hugged. I know that sounds lame and pity-partyish, but I sort of thrive on hugs from my mama!

Maybe I’m just in a bad mood tonight… but it’s also easy for me to see how France is such a godless country. The family I live with is really religious, which is refreshing, and the 14-year-old is in some kind of Catholic Girl Scouts, and they’re really cute. But for the most part, everyone just focuses on themselves and on the art of living well.

I really wanted to go to church this morning, but my family had some sort of special private service in the evening, and I was too scared to go to church by myself (especially since pretty much all of the churches are Catholic, and I’m not used to that). I’ve already determined to visit the American Church next Sunday, even though it’s really far away.

Quiet times are wonderful and rejuvenating and fulfilling, but I’m beginning to realize how important real fellowship is in the Christian walk. I have yet to find a strong believer in my group… Like I wrote before, it seems all everyone wants to talk about is drinking.

Okay, this post is a downer. I swear I’m having an incredible time, and I feel so blessed to be here. I really have made wonderful friends already in the short time that I’ve been here, and according to the directrice at my school, these occasional slumps are normal when adapting to a new culture. The dogs that are on every corner will suddenly become a nuisance rather than a quaint curiosity, and Paris’ crazy drivers will just become annoying rather than hilarious.

But for now, I just want a hug.

Playing my little violin,

Kate

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it's philip, if I were a girl and in France I would run up to ya and keep hugging you in front of everyone, haha, that would be great. I didn't know you plalyed the violin....j....k

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home