My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Overflowing. Christ-follower. Adoring wife. Mother. Francophile. Lover of languages. Aspiring chef. Wanderluster. Dabbler. Communicator. Free spirited, but powerfully attached.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Il fait CHAUD (in hurrrr)…

Okay, I just re-read my last post, and I SWEAR I’m not depressed. I’m basically the luckiest girl in the world to be in PARIS learning French, I have a WONDERFUL host family, and I get the impression I’m pretty well liked at school (go figure). I wake up each morning with the sun shining in from my open balcony doors, I get ready, and when I walk to my metro stop I pass five different flower shops and fruit stands, as well as one classic little French patisserie (pastry shop). The smells, the colors, EVERYTHING: incredible.

If I gave you the impression that I was having a tough time (which I’m not), here are some real horror stories for you:

My friend Elisabeth has been pretty much locked in her bedroom at her homestay since she arrived in Paris. Her host mother told her that she’s only allowed to leave her room to use the bathroom and go to class. Okay, I’ve BEEN in her room, and it’s about half the size of a SMALL dorm room. She’s a prisoner in her own home(stay), and the poor thing never wants to go home after school! La pauvre! [UPDATE: I just heard from Elisabeth that she’s moving! It was THAT BAD!]

Another friend, Ann, has a host mother who sends her to bed at 8:00 p.m. (20h00) each night and locks the door. I kid you not: She has to go to her room right after dinner.

Yet another, Sophie, was told by her family that she’s only allowed to run water between 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. Not just shower… RUN WATER. Meaning they can’t flush toilets, and if she wants to brush her teeth in the morning, she has to use bottled water.

So I’m a very lucky, very happy girl. :-)

The only thing is… France is experiencing a rare heat wave. I’m TOLD it’s rare, even though when I was in Paris three years ago, it was blisteringly hot. Anyway, everyone is basically dripping with sweat by the time we step outside. It was bright and sunny and beautiful when I arrived, and it was only 70 degree F each day. But since Saturday, it’s been in the very high 90s, and with all the walking I do, and the time I spend in the humid metro, it’s disgusting.

The beauty of it is: There’s supposed to be a huge thunderstorm tonight! It’s gonna cool down a lot after that, and then my beautiful, pleasant Paris will be back.

YAY!

Kate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home