My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Overflowing. Christ-follower. Adoring wife. Mother. Francophile. Lover of languages. Aspiring chef. Wanderluster. Dabbler. Communicator. Free spirited, but powerfully attached.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Off to the Emerald Isle

***NB: It's been brought to my attention that I've been blogging more about my hair than I have about France. Although I do extend my sincerest apologies for my alleged negligence, I hope you understand the correlation. I, the former QUEEN of non-change (especially in regard to coiffeurial affairs), HAVE BEEN CHANGED in such a way that now I want a HAIRCUT. This country has done that to me, just as Jessica Thompson promised it would. Therefore, indirectly, the posts about the haircut WERE about France.

Moving on...

I'm leaving for Ireland in less than six hours. Katie, Anna and I decided we wanted to take an inexpensive trip somewhere, and the hostels and flights to Dublin were the cheapest around, so we'll be there till Sunday! Katie is Irish, so she's super excited about it. I'm looking forward to it, but I don't know what to expect! It ought to be a lot of fun. I'm bringing paper and crayons for the plane, and I can't wait to draw!!! Haha, I'm so immature. I've been wanting to make another children's book, so I've been toying with some characters. I drew a pretty rockin' duck in my grammar class this morning, and he could definitely join Henry the Steer, Henrietta the Cow, Lilly the Frog and Cletus the Pig in my farm animal series.

I spent WAY too much money with Michelle last week, so I've been very good this week. I've been entertaining myself with lots of free activities, like taking really long walks and people-watching. It's definitely been the most low-key week since I arrived, which I take as a good sign. I'm pretty much adjusted to Paris life! I've had a lot of tests this week... maybe four... and I haven't been eating out every day. In fact, I only ate at a café once, and that cost 3.50 euro.

HOWEVER... We in France are right in the middle of the Grandes Soldes, the HUGE sales mandated by the French government for a few days each year, where sections of every single store are up to 70 percent off. Of COURSE, I had to go to H&M and ZARA.

Yesterday marked the first day of the sales, and I arrived with a couple of friends RIGHT after school, about six hours after stores opened. As a result of our "lateness," it was CHAOS. Stores were completely picked over, garments littered the ground, and smelly people with really bad B.O. stood shoulder to shoulder. I definitely got pushed REALLY hard several times and had someone grab a shirt out of my hand. How could I love H&M and ZARA so much on Tuesday, but be so frightened of them on Wednesday? The answer points to the crazy French people for whom saving money is worth losing a limb at the Solde... literally.

Needless to say, I didn't want to stick around long. Based on my desire to save money at this point, that's probably a good thing. But let us not forget, I am an expert shopper, and though I don't have the girth of the giant North African women who bowled me over in the shoe department, I am scrappy and quick, and I know what I like when I see it. I managed to snag a very elegant skirt and a burnt orange and white tank top, both 70 percent off. I spent only 11 euro on two items that on Tuesday would have cost me upwards of 40 euro. WOOT!

I suppose I should prepare myself to spend money this weekend. We get breakfast at our hostel, and as I mentioned earlier, we saved money on the flight and the room, but I hear Dublin is not cheap. Sighhh...

It ought to be a really great weekend. Make sure you cheer France on to victory in the World Cup on Saturday! We're playing Brazil, so chances are I'll be coming home to a very disappointed host brother (Félix is a die-hard football fan).

Cheers,

Kate

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! That's more like it. I hope you have a great time in Ireland; I think you have a little Irish blood, so you should fit right in. I've been to the airport in Shannon, Ireland, so you're not the first Thorne to visit the old country. I think that airport was the first time I ever tried yogurt (isn't that interesting?) Have a wonderful trip and tell us all about it. Go France Go! Love, Dad

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great update. Kudos on the great shopping maneuvers - can't wait to see the spoils of battle. Or to hear about Ireland! Love, Meeme

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

H&M for ever! And what a great governmental regulations- store sales! Genius!

Steph B.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Abigail Boatwright said...

yay for sales! :-) I just encountered Saldi everywhere in Italy this past trip, and it wrecked my budget(almost). I cleaned up at my French fave PROMOD and the classic H&M, but never made it over to Zara. Sad day.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home